How to designate a flower for your community:
We have been asked by other communities, how we started. Below are the steps we took and continue to take. Key things to consider:
- Do you have a champion that is willing to make sure it happens? You need someone likeable that is willing to carry the torch, so to speak.
- What flower would most resonate with your community? Is there anything historical about a certain flower? A flower with the same letter? Like Lilacs in Lombard and Zinnias for Zion? Is there another reason to choose a specific flower? Come up with a solid WHY (See our Pledge and Promise Statement).
- Visit government leaders and ask for their support. It is not an additional budget item, just replace what is already done with the new flower. Note: The biggest reason it took 17 years was because it was thought that it had to be a BIG deal with a festival, etc. What we realized was that we could start small and see what grows from it.
- Start a petition to bring attention to the cause.
- Call seed companies and ask for their left-overs, work with a local greenhouse.
- Celebrate everyone that gets involved the first year…and keep it going!!